When you’re allergic to tomatoes you have to get creative if you like Mexican food! No tomato means no salsa, no pico de gallo, no taco sauce and most of the time no taco seasoning also.
This recipe has just moved up to our favorite spot. It’s fresh, easy and filling; the perfect busy day meal!
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 packet fajita seasoning (we used Simply Organic)
- 1 package/can refried beans (we used Pacific Organic Vegitarian)
- 1 pack Ortega Fiesta Flats (or tostada shells)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (from our new plant)
- 1 lime
- 1 chive scape
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup Dairyfree cheese (we used Diaya cheddar)
- 1/2 cup mango, pineapple salsa (optional – we found this at Wegmans)
Brown ground beef and add fajita seasoning. (We use fajita instead of taco because taco has paprika which causes a similar reaction as tomatoes – oh the joys of food allergies!)
Chop cilantro (we bought an organic plant to try to grow our own, stay tuned to check its progress). Chop chive scape. Transfer beans to microwave safe dish and heat for 2 minutes, stirring half way through. Cut lime in half. The mango, pineapple salsa is optional but delicious! Heat shells at 350 for 5 minutes. Fill shells with a layer of beans, beef, lettuce, onions, cilantro, cheese and a squeeze of lime juice. You can top with salsa or eat it as is.