Dairyfree pizza? Yes, you can still enjoy pizza without dairy! We’ve tried many versions of this so called dairyfree pizza idea and honestly most turn out more like some sort of flatbread with spread (truffle, artichoke, olive oil…) and some veggie toppings. But let’s get real, you can’t have pizza without the cheese. The thought of dairyfree cheese is a bit scary but while loading up on snowstorm food we decided to throw caution to the wind and grab a pack of the dairyfree shredded mozzarella. And so the adventure of this recipe begins…
First, get fancy and make your own pesto. It’s really easy! Besides most store bought Pesto includes cheese.
- Pizza shell (we used Brooklyn Bread Pizza Crust)
- 1 packet dairyfree cheese (we used Diaya “Deliciously Dairyfree Mozzarella Style Shreds”)
- 1 cup basil (we used fresh organic)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pinenuts (they were extremely hard to find in the grocery store but are usually near pasta sauces or salad toppings and come in a little jar)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
To make the pesto we got to break out the immersion blender with food processor attachment, making Chef Carson very happy!
First, pull off basil leaves or open package and wash thoroughly. You may need to remind your Chef that there is no need to sample the dirt for this recipe. Add basil, pinenuts and garlic to food processor or blender and chop/blend. Once mixed, add olive oil. And mix one last time. Now heat your oven to 450 and lay your pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread your pesto over the shell. (ours came with two shells so we made the second with olive oil, cheese, pepperoni and pineapple.)
Put pizza in oven and bake for 10-15 mins depending on oven.